Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Brand Name vs. Safety

As a new mommy who googles hundreds of toys to see which are the most convertible, the funnest, and the best rated I'm used to seeing the Bumbo brand. It's a very popular seat for babies, as most of you might know. When I was registering for a baby seat I was tempted to put this on my registry but changed my mind when I found a seat that converts into a booster seat and a seat with a tray to play on. Anything that converts and will save me from cluttering my house with additional toys is always a must for me.

Today I read an article about the Bumbo seat and it reassures me that I made the right choice with the baby seat. Apparently the Bumbo seat was recalled in 2007...this I did not see amongst the 4 and 5 star ratings. After the recall, the seat came back into the market but is still having numerous injury reports attached to it. I'm sure this seat is great for many, but David would definitely prove the injury reports accurate. I can barely keep him in place when he's buckled up! Sure, if your baby is calm and can sit patiently in a seat without too much movement then you won't be having any worries, but if you're a mommy to be and you don't know if your child is going to be the one trying to fall out of everything then why take the chance? Because of the brand name?

I'm sure this isn't the first item to be recalled and still have so many issues but this just shows how much people follow the brand name. I admit that when I look into baby products my first google search is based on a known name so I too need to steer from the popular names sometimes to what's the safest for my little man.

Check out the link below about the Bumbo seat!

http://www.parents.com/blogs/parents-news-now/2011/11/28/safety/consumer-agency-warns-parents-about-bumbo-seat-safety/

No comments:

Post a Comment