Friday, November 25, 2011

Let It Be

Definition of a mom - a person that gives unconditional love and nourishment to her child. Obviously this is my definition of mom and not Webster's but I don't really care what Webster says and even more so I don't really care what others think defines a mom.

I'm a mom to David and in my opinion I'm a good mom, for the simple fact that my obligation in life is to provide David with the best that I can offer. This ranges from picking out his stroller, his jumperoo, his bottles, his food, etc. Ever since I found out I was pregnant with a boy I researched every single purchase to make sure David was going to be comfortable while sleeping, playing, talking, pooping, laughing, etc. As he gets older there are only more decisions to be made; hence, more research by me. I read various websites, skim through mommy blogs, talk to moms of 2 year olds, 5 year olds, 30 year olds, talk to nurses, talk to doctors. I try to get as much information as possible from all different sources. And even after spending so much time doing my research about the best wipes, the best nasal sprays, the best veggies for David I may not be making the same decision with my future kids. But at this moment, I know that I'm providing David with what I believe is the safest and healthiest environment.

With this being said, I cannot understand why people feel they have an obligation in telling me how to be a mom. One thing is to give a recommendation but another is to tell me how to raise my son. Everyone has an opportunity to raise a child. Your opportunity may have been 6 months ago, or 3 years ago, or 20 years ago. Now is my opportunity to raise a child. So if you think that I'm being a terrible mom by allowing my son to watch several episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse so that I can pump or make dinner or simply to lay down then you can go home and judge me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment