Monday, November 21, 2011

Kale Chips...Yum

Once David was reaching 4 months I knew that starting solids was days away. I spent days doing my research as to whether he was ready for solids or if I should wait. When I finally made the decision that he was ready the next decision was what should be his first solid food. Should I take the traditional route of rice cereal or should it be a fruit or veggie? Once again I spent days doing my research and then I finally made my decision of introducing David to avocados first.

After spending so much time on deciding what should be David's first food I came to realize that it wasn't as important what his first food was but what his entire diet was going to consist of. I want David to enjoy eating fruits and veggies and not be craving chips on a daily basis. The only way to have him enjoy healthy food is to grow up knowing what a healthy diet consists of. This realization brings me to do research on everyday healthy snacks, salads, entrees, etc.

This is when I came across kale chips. I read on someone's blog about them last night, so today I went to the supermarket to purchase kale. I drizzled some EVOO with some salt and into the oven pieces of kale went. Ten mintues later I was trying kale chips. And to my surprise they were very good. So simple yet such a good snack. I wanted to eat the entire cookie tray of kale chips.

I know that David is still young to be enjoying kale chips but now I know of an easy and healthy snack that he can be introduced to later on. And for now, Gene and I will be enjoying them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment